Google
 
Web citizenbosco.blogspot.com

3.9.06

The Virgin Queen (TV Drama)

The Virgin Queen – 2005
The very talented Anne-Marie Duff plays Elizabeth through her fascinating 45 year reign in this 4 part TV production (each part a different section of her life). I think this one pissed off the historians too.
It's clear they spent so much money on the astonishing and large costumes from the rather crap action scenes – minimal spending here despite a couple of opportunities for some small battle scenes. A brief battle scene in the fourth episode involves some blurring and camera shaking and was ultimately deemed crap by my good self. Some may claim it is an artistic effect but it looks rubbsih and was just budget management. But this drama is about the person, Elizabeth and it does her well.
Robert Dudley, 1st Earl of Leicester and Elizabeth's long time love interest, is played by Tom Hardy. At first I was not sure about him, but he grows on you as the series continues. In the end I think he did a damn fine job. William Cecil was Elizabeth's chief advisor for most of her reign and is performed very well by Ian Hart. Emila Fox plays Amy Dudley, she also appeared in Henry VIII (reviewed below) as Jane Seymour. Also watch out for Hans Metheson who does an excellent job as Robert Devereux – Earl of Essex. I won't go into too much detail because if I start digging into the history too much then this will turn into an essay.
I've selected Elizabeth I (Channel 4 production with Helen Mirren and Jeremy Irons) for rent with Screenselect which is supposed to be better, and the film with the lovely Cate Blanchett which might also be better. The reviews will be posted here, cus I just know a thousand people out there eagerly await my posts...ahahhah...ahahhahahaha! AHHAHAHAHA!
If you have not already then I seriously recommend reading further into Elizabeth's long and detailed reign, and this production and others may induce you to do so. This is a good production and well worth a watch. It can be a little difficult to follow at times, or maybe I'm just a bit thick at times. 6.5/10

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?